Tuesday, July 5, 2011

My Review of Scott SUB 10 Bike - 2011

Originally submitted at REI

Built for utility, Scott SUB 10 bike provides a sporty, fun ride that nimbly navigates urban and suburban roads and paths, plus the hydraulic disc brakes provide powerful braking in any weather.


Practical, handsome, high quality

By Chuck from Santa Cruz from Santa Cruz, CA on 7/5/2011

 

5out of 5

Pros: Simple, Versatile, Tough, Elegant

Best Uses: Heavy

Describe Yourself: Casual/ Recreational

Was this a gift?: No

I was looking for a bike that I could ride around town, possibly up into the mountains around Santa Cruz, and occasionally on trails. The Sub10 fits the bill perfectly. No derailleurs, no grease on the chain, no squealing brakes. Just quiet, reasonably efficient cycling. I am not convinced that the Shimano hub is ultimately efficient, but I really like the ability to shift a single lever and run through a 300% range of gears. It's also helpful, dare I say it, to be able to shift at a standstill. While I sort of wish I had waited until this bike had the 11 speed hub, I am actually quite satisfied.

The brakes are extremely powerful, and since I am a pretty big guy, I appreciate their stopping ability. They are virtually silent, and have a nice sold pull to the levers.

The wheels are also nice: not too tricked out to be practical, and 100psi tires that look like they can take some abuse without sacrificing efficiency.

So far I have added a simple combination lock, a bottle mount, and some plastic toe clips. I want to keep it simple, as light as possible, and elegant. Everyone who sees the bike comments on it's good looks. I highly recommend it.

(legalese)

No comments:

Post a Comment